[Reviews - 0] Printer
Table of Contents
- Text Size +
Story Notes:

 

 Written for Chesire in the Secret Drabble/ Ficlet Exchange in September 2008.

 

Thanks to Quadrante for beta reading this!

 

 

Rainy days

 

No! No way! I'm not going out there! It's raining cats and dogs, she mumbled to herself and cradled the warm coffee - filled cup in her hands.

 

She looked outside at her backyard. The trees were just starting to get green again and the first flowers were starting to show. Despite the bad weather she smiled as she lifted the cup to her mouth again to take another swallow of the hot liquid and started to think about how her garden would soon be a colourful oasis.

 

She loved this time of the year, when everything started to live again. In her mind she was already starting to make plans of what she wanted to change in her garden.

 

Maybe I should start working on the pond I always wanted, when the rain stops and I think I should take up the offer from my new - single - neighbour to build me a swing for the veranda. What a perfect opportunity to spent some more time with him, she mused with a smile and with a happy sigh she turned to her comm. terminal that indicated with a beeping sound that someone demanded to speak with her. Her good mood just went a little higher as she recognized the Starfleet emblem on the view screen. But instead of the smiling face of her oldest daughter she was greeted by the sorrow filled face of Owen Paris.

 

"Gretchen," he said "I'm sorry to tell you, but something happened...we've lost contact with Voyager..."

 

 

"And it's raining again...," Gretchen sighed.

 

"What did you say mom?" Phoebe looked up from her book to look at her mother, who was standing at the big window facing the yard.

 

"I said it's raining again," Gretchen repeated as she turned to face her youngest daughter. "We haven't had any real snow this winter. I doubt we'll get a white Christmas this year. The ground will be all muddy and slippery; the kids won't be able to play outside at Christmas."

 

Phoebe sighed and noticed again how much her mother had changed over the past years. She had never thought of her mother as the depressed type, but the last years had changed her mother and especially in the dark and cold seasons she now did tend to see the negative sides more than the positive. She motioned her mother to sit beside her on the couch.

 

"Come here, mom, take a seat. The kids will have fun either way and I'm sure there'll be lots of snow in January. Tell me what's really bothering you."

 

Gretchen sat down with a sigh.

 

"I don't know what's wrong with me either, maybe it's just ‘the time' again, just some Christmas blues I think," she chuckled softly. "I miss your father and Kathryn of course...you know Kathryn is five days over the last communication date. I know it happened before, that they weren't able to establish a stable comm. link, but I just thought I could talk to her again before Christmas, you know?"

 

Phoebe nodded and gave her mother's hand a squeeze.

 

"I understand. Everything will be alright."

 

After a few moments of silence the comm. unit in the next room indicated with a beeping sound that a new message had arrived.

 

"Would you go and take a look please, hon?" Gretchen sighed and stood up. "I'll be in the kitchen for some fresh coffee."

 

Phoebe sighed inwardly and nodded silently. She made her way over to the comm. unit and with activation she recognized the familiar sign of Starfleet. After reading the message she had to take a few deep breaths before finally being able to speak and move again.

 

"Mom!" She yelled as laughter bubbled forth. "Mom, come here quickly! Kathryn, she's home...!

 

 

End

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

 

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author.  The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise.  No copyright infringement is intended.