[Reviews - 3] Printer
Table of Contents
- Text Size +
Story Notes:

   They belong to Paramount. I just take them out once in a while. 

   

    You and Seven looked rather smug as you walked into the hearing room.
    And why not? You expected me to be there to make things right. To fight for her, just as I fought for the former Maquis, including you, my dear, and for Tom, Icheb and the Doctor.
     But your smugness turned to surprise when you realized that I wasn't there.
     And your surprise turned to shock when the hearing officer read my statement:  A "no recommendation" on Seven's release from Federation custody.
     And when the board announced its decision -- that Seven would remain in custody until it was ascertained that she wasn't a threat, well, I guess you were left speechless. 
     Just consider this a test of your devotion ... which I suppose will last until the next blonde comes along.
     
      Funny, I thought I'd feel anger, or at least some satisfaction. But I don't feel much of anything as I switch off the vid feed.
      My family's gathered around the picnic tables in Mom's back yard, waiting for me.  "Finish your business at headquarters, Katie?" my mother asks.
       A thought occurs to me, and for the first time in weeks, I smile.
        "I did, Mom," I tell her sincerely. "I'm free now."