[Reviews - 1] Printer
Table of Contents
- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Written for Malezita who asked for J/C, no C/7, no angst, and provided the first line: 'They were walking hand in hand'.

 

~~~***~~~ 

They were walking hand in hand with their fingers tightly entwined together. They had finally managed to slowly work their way through the crowd of people and quickly disappeared into the shadows of the nearby garden. Kathryn paused momentarily as she looked back towards the large tent in her mother’s backyard where Voyagers crew, family and friends were gathered. The party was in full swing, had been actually for over six hours now. She smiled as she realized the long overdue celebrations would easily continue through the night and most likely emerge into the dawn of the next day. Feeling a gentle yet urgent tug on her hand she turned back and followed Chakotay as he led her deeper into the garden. She smiled to herself and squeezed his hand in return, as she knew exactly where he was leading her to.

It had been two months since Voyager and her crew had made it home. It had also been two months since she had last seen Chakotay, here in the gardens late one night behind her mother’s house. She had known he would be leaving to visit his sister on Trebus as soon as the debriefings were over, but she had not expected to see him before he left. He had stopped by late that evening and they ended up walking through the garden together as they talked, not as the Captain and Commander, but as Kathryn and Chakotay. She finally dropped her shields and seized the chance, confessing her love to him. Their first kiss was shy and gentle as they tasted and explored each other. She had no idea what came over her next, but she had backed him up to sit on a bench that was under a large weeping willow tree where she pulled the hem of her dress up and straddled his lap. She held his face in her hands and kissed him with a passion she had long denied. It was there on that bench two months ago, late one summer night, where they had consummated their newfound relationship.

Stopping in front of the bench now, Chakotay turned to face Kathryn but before he could speak she wrapped her arms around his neck pulling him towards her lips whispering “kiss me” just before their lips met.

Pulling back and smiling he nuzzled her neck. “I take it you have no regrets about what happened here two months ago?”

“Only one” she breathily replied, as she tilted her head to give him better access to the erogenous spot he was headed towards.

“What?” he exclaimed as he stepped back tightly grasping her shoulders looking deeply into her eyes for an answer. “Tell me Kathryn” he asked in a voice tinged with fear “what is it that you regret?”

She stroked her slender fingers down his cheek and across his lips. “My only regret is that I denied how I felt about you for all those years. I used protocol as an excuse to hide behind and I let my fears keep us apart for all these years.” Her eyes sparkled with tears that threatened to spill over. “I was such a damn fool Chakotay, could you ever forgive me?”

Quickly expelling the breath he held “yes, of course I forgive you.”

With a look of surprise on her face “Just like that… yes?”

“Yes” he smiled, flashing those dimples “Just like that.”

“H.. How? Why?” she blurted out.

Pulling her tightly into his arms he planted a kiss on her lips. “Because I’m holding the woman of my dreams, my soul mate, in my arms. And I love her with all that I am.”

Returning the kiss and glancing over at the bench and back at him with a raised eyebrow and a crooked grin. “Hmmm, shall we…?”

Trying to feign innocence “shall we what?”

Playfully smacking his shoulder “you know what I mean, don’t play innocent with me now mister!” she giggled.

“OH!, that.” he exclaimed with a raised eyebrow and wink in return. “Of course, but first I have a very important question to ask you.”

Nuzzling his neck she begins unbuttoning his shirt. “Mmm well, ask away then.”

Leaning down until his lips touch her ear he whispers. “Kathryn, will you m…”

“Yes” she blurts out as her lips follow the trail downward where her fingers work each button undone.

“Yes?” he asks “You do know what I’m asking you, right?”

“Yes, I know what you’re asking me.” Planting her hands on each side of his face, pulling him towards her. “And my answer is yes!” she gets out just before their lips collide.

Breaking the kiss, with a flash of dimples as his fingers slip under the hem of her dress and up her thigh. “Now then, where were we?”

“Well I was right about here” as she trailed kisses down his chest and catches a nipple between her teeth. “Oh” she mumbles against him. “I almost forgot to tell you, you left something behind the last time you were here.”

Running the fingers of his other hand through her long auburn hair. “And what might that be?”

Kissing her way back up his chest. “It’s a surprise.”

“Something I left here is a surprise?”

Slipping her hand inside his opened shirt while she nibbles on his ear and whispers. “I’m…”

Suddenly a small voice interrupts them. “Excuse me Captain, Commander?”

Startled and surprised they both jump and turn to see Naomi standing there.

Even in the moonlight, Naomi noticed the blush that had formed on the Captains face. “I’m sorry to bother you, but a few people have noticed your absence, and I wanted to let you know that they’ve sent out a search party.”

Trying her best not to panic, yet failing “Oh my… they’re looking for us… out here… in the garden?!”

“Oh no Captain.” Naomi proudly beams. “I sent them in the opposite direction.”

At this point Chakotay loses control and bursts out laughing. “I guess you taught her well after all… Captain.”

Giving him a mock glare she turns to Naomi. “And how did you know where to find us?”

“Well, I am the Captain’s assistant after all.” she smiles, but seeing the Captain is not amused she quickly reigns in her smile. “Ok, I’ll tell you. It was easy you see, the house is full of people, the tent in the backyard is full of people, and there’s no privacy on the front porch with all the pictures being taken, so I figured where else would the Captain and Commander go to kiss?”

Chakotay reaches over with one hand and closes Kathryn’s mouth, which had dropped open in shock and remained there. “Thanks for letting us know” he smiled at Naomi.

“Oh you’re welcome Commander. I should head back now, you probably only have about five more minutes before they realize I’ve sent them in the wrong direction.” Naomi smiled heading back the way she came.

Kathryn leaned into Chakotay resting her forehead against his chest and sighed. “Could I have been anymore un-captain like than I just was?”

Rubbing her back as he chuckled. “No, but you were all Kathryn, and it was a sight to behold.”

She helped him button his shirt back up and pulled him in for one more kiss before they snuck back to the party.

Sneaking back in was easier than they expected. The ‘search party’ which consisted of Tom, B’Elanna, Harry, Ayala and Sam, discovered them both out on the dance floor. “Red Alert on your six, the search party has found us.” he whispered into her ear.

They were quickly surrounded as Harry stopped one of the passing waiters and quickly thrust a champagne glass into everyone’s hand. Tom signaled for the music to be paused, and for the lights on the dance floor to be turned up. Kathryn turned to look at Chakotay as Harry began making a toast to them when her eyes went wide. Without thinking her hand immediately darted up as she used her thumb to remove the lipstick from his bottom lip.

And that’s when it happened. A quick flash of something sparkled, followed by a loud squeal from B’Elanna which interrupted Harry‘s speech, momentarily silencing everyone at the party. As everyone looked in B’Elanna’s direction she grabbed Kathryn’s left hand holding it up for all to see. “Kahless! You two are engaged?!”

Kathryn looked at Chakotay and smiled. “Yes, we’re engaged.” Sliding her hand up to caress his cheek, her lips soon followed as they indulged in their first public kiss. The cheers that followed were absolutely deafening, and eventually Tom had to motion for everyone to stop.

Gretchen and Phoebe had been in the house, but were immediately notified of the news. Kathryn turned just as Phoebe burst through the crowd and hugged her whispering “So, you’re not a prude or an ice queen after all huh?” which earned her sister a death glare.

“Oh put that glare away Katie, you know that doesn’t work on us.” her mother said as she gave her a hug. Gretchen had everyone in stitches when she patted Chakotay’s cheek, hugged him and declared “Congratulations my boy, it’s about time someone got through those shields of hers!”

Eventually everyone went back to dancing and socializing. Chakotay led Kathryn back onto the dance floor, relishing in the fact that they could snuggle as close as they wanted to now, as well as kiss.

Noticing after awhile that Kathryn was getting tired, he guided her off the dance floor, over to where most of the senior staff was hanging out. They seemed to be deep in conversation and Tom’s back was to them as they approached.

“Well all I can say is, I really don’t think it’s like he got her knocked up” Tom said as he took a drink of his beer.

Kathryn placed her hand on Tom‘s shoulder. “Got who knocked up Tom?” This caused Tom to spit his beer out, clear across the table, resulting in nervous laughter from everyone there.

Looking at the Captain, Tuvok broke the silence that had descended upon the prior discussion that had taken place. “I believe Mr. Paris was stating that he did not believe you and the Commander were engaged to be married as the result of you being pregnant.”

B’Elanna laughed. “Smooth move flyboy, you’re on your own with this one.” Tom groaned as he leaned forward holding his head in his hands.

Kathryn gently squeezed Tom’s shoulder as she winked at everyone at the table. “Well Tom, I can tell you that it only takes one time to get those results, but that‘s not the reason why I‘m marrying Chakotay.”

Turning around she hugged Chakotay. “Have the kids make room for us, I need to hit up the buffet table.” Leaning in she whispered in his ear, but not quite so quietly that the others couldn’t hear. “For some reason lately my appetite has been insatiable.” Kissing him on the cheek, she made a beeline for the food, leaving a stunned crew in her wake.

All eyes were on Chakotay as they watched the realization slowly spread across his face. “Oh spirits!” he whispered as he suddenly bolted after Kathryn. Moments later there was a loud whoop from the buffet table, and the news quickly spread. Chakotay carried a food laden tray back to the table, and Kathryn dug in with gusto.

“Kahless Chakotay, is she having Quadruplets or what? At the rate she’s going she’ll be eating you out of house and home!”

Joyous laughter filled the table as Kathryn picked up her napkin and daintily wiped her mouth. “Have mercy on me B’Elanna, I’m not having Quadruplets, just twins this time.”

Tom jumped up just in time to catch Chakotay and guide him into the chair next to Kathryn before he hit the floor.

Leaning over Chakotay whispered to Kathryn. “Is there anything else you need to tell me tonight?”

“Oh yes.” she whispered back “It’s true, we’re just having twins. However my sex drive has quadrupled, I’m horny all the time and you have been gone for the past two months!”

His eyebrows shot up, almost rivaling Tuvok’s expression.

She smiled coyly as she filled a plate for him and whispered “You don‘t have any regrets do you?”

“Only one.” he replied.

“Oh, and what would that be?”

“Just that I missed the past two months!” he smiled.

Giving a hearty laugh she passed him the plate. “Here, I think you’re going to need the energy.”